SA Mint - Nocturnal Hunters Collection - The Leopard Coin 2014

JAG Medallions

JAG Medallions

The South African Mint (SA Mint) and the Friends of JAG partner in celebrating the Johannesburg Art Gallery centenary with the launch of three special limited edition sterling silver commemorative medallions.

Lady Florence Phillips (1863 – 1940), an art collector and wife of mining magnate Lionel Phillips, established the first gallery collection with funds procured from her husband and a number of his fellow Randlords. Sir Hugh Lane was drafted to put together the collection, which was first exhibited in London, before it was brought to South Africa. Locally the Johannesburg Art Gallery collection opened to the public in 1910, before the gallery itself had been built. In 1910 the Johannesburg Art Gallery Committee, headed by Florence Phillips and her advisor Hugh Lane, invited British architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869 – 1944) to draw up plans for a gallery in the city. Since opening its doors in 1915, JAG’s Lutyens home in the heart of Johannesburg inner city has remained at the epicentre of the Johannesburg’s art establishment

Different aspects of Lutyens’ neo-classical architectural motives, found in the JAG building, are featured on the obverse of the three 2 oz sterling silver medallions. To tie in with the architectural motives, the reverse sides of the medallions feature prominent sculptural pieces from the JAG collection. Edoardo Villa’s (1915 - 2011) St Sebastian, which guards the northern entrance of the gallery, adorns the reverse of one of the medallions. It is also a nod to the centenary anniversary of Villa’s birth that coincides with the inaugural year of the Lutyens building. Two sculptural works by exiled Struggle Artist Dumile Feni (1942 -1991), both entitled Portrait of Chief Albert Luthuli, feature on another of the reverse sides. Bruce Arnott’s (b. 1938) bronze The Citizen, part of JAG’s Centenary Trust acquisitions made in 1986, completes the set.

Different aspects of Lutyens’ neo-classical architectural motives, found in the JAG building, are featured on the obverse of the three 2 oz sterling silver medallions. To tie in with the architectural motives, the reverse sides of the medallions feature prominent sculptural pieces from the JAG collection. Edoardo Villa’s (1915 - 2011) St Sebastian, which guards the northern entrance of the gallery, adorns the reverse of one of the medallions. It is also a nod to the centenary anniversary of Villa’s birth that coincides with the inaugural year of the Lutyens building. Two sculptural works by exiled Struggle Artist Dumile Feni (1942 -1991), both entitled Portrait of Chief Albert Luthuli, feature on another of the reverse sides. Bruce Arnott’s (b. 1938) bronze The Citizen, part of JAG’s Centenary Trust acquisitions made in 1986, completes the set.

Top

Let me know as soon as the auction starts.

* indicates required
Close